Thursday 26 June 2014

Peace is All I Ask For

Sitting in an air conditioned car is cool, especially when the sun isn't even smiling. But sitting in a car for hours due to heavy traffic at areas like my beloved Ajah or Iyana Ipaja, Abule-Egbe isn't funny at all.

I partly blame the government for not providing adequate transportation system. It’s said that presently the underground railway is being constructed; just hope it would be safe for us to use.

Now, back to my traffic days......it was a norm (not sure if it still is) to have dinner in traffic. I remember particularly years like 2007-2009 when construction of the Lekki-Epe Expressway had just begun; we had no peace in our hearts. The traffic was so bad that if you had planned to leave the house at 7.00am and left at 7.02am, you were doomed! Coming back was even worse.
Everything one needed was sold in traffic. I always told people "I think the only thing I haven't seen them sell is human parts". Even buying "ugwu" (pumpkin leaves) was never so difficult. If you wanted it cut as they'd do in markets, you just had to tell the seller, whether or not you had already paid. Reason been that, he's very certain he'll get his money in the next 5 minutes since you'd only have moved less than 5 metres due to the traffic.

Traffic is the major difference Lagos has from all other states of Nigeria (at least the ones I have been to). I think the Government should look into changing our Motto- Centre of Excellence to - Centre of Stress.

I really love my Lagos, because its as peaceful as it could be.... away from militants and bombers but if only God could answer my little prayer----Let Lagos roads be free for once; I wouldn't mind settling there. I have faith that one day, at least with the completion of the Mile 2-Okokomaiko Railway and Lekki-Epe Expressway, people shall have peace again.

With so much love for my Eko/Balogun Market, cinemas, beaches, owambes (parties) etc......till then EKO O NI BAJE.......

4 comments: